Thursday, October 23, 2008

Driving and Jami and Rain, OH MY!

There should be pictures, but there aren't.  I did manage to take a picture of the Tennessee sign but then almost ran into a concrete barrier, so the camera was taken away from me.  Probably a good thing :)  Word to the wise, don't take pictures and drive boys and girls!

Today's drive was our longest.  We left around 9am and got into Mt. Vernon around 8:00pm EST.  The trip, for the most part, was uneventful.  We drove, there were trees, a lot of trucks, oh, and us.

We did get a chance to meet up with Ms Jami outside of Ft. Campbell for lunch at the Cracker Barrel.  It's always good to catch up and see her and hear all the fun and exciting things this Martha Stewart of Texas is doing.  She bakes, she sews, she raises 3 kids while living in a 5th wheel trailer.  Hey, I'm always impressed!

We hit rain a little bit outside of Ft. Campbell.  I was hoping we could make it into Illinois before it started, but no such luck.  Traffic was still flowing pretty well until about 5 miles before our exit for the hotel.  Unbeknownst to us, there was road work that took the road from 2 lanes to 1, right before our exit.  We figured out that we could make it to our exit about 3 miles out and proceeded to get into the far right hand lane.  Then, the one stupid truck driver decided to be cute and block the far right hand lane so no one could scoot around.  Now, I've always wanted to do this before  because it causes congestion right before lanes merge, however, when there is an EXIT coming up, why do this?  So basically, what should have taken me a minute to get to, took me 10 minutes because Mr. Trucker guy would only move forward when the right lane started forward.  Needless to say, my blood pressure rose, my horn honked and the thought did cross my mind to get out of my car and beat on his truck.  I refrained.  Aren't y'all proud :)

So, after close to 11 hours in the car, Suzannah knows my entire intestinal problems, my bowel movements and Jami's whole history on Fat March.  (I did squeeze in about 2 seconds of Jami's side just to be fair)  I am sure she is SO looking forward to the next 3 legs of this trip and what pops out of my mouth!

I will say the stress of the first day did get to me and Tom.  I think with all the driving and the adrenaline and the "Oh my god are we there yet!", by the time we finally DID make it here, we just lost it.  Tempers were high,  but after a hot shower, a glass of wine and some Grey's Anatomy, all is well.  Suzannah took a different hotel room though, just in case things started to fly before the hot shower calmed everyone down :)  I have faith tomorrow will be better.  All of our legs are much shorter than today and we know how long we can go and where we need to stop!

So, I'm going to sign off for now.  Tomorrow we go to Salina, KS.  We're going to try to leave a little earlier so we have longer daylight to drive in!  We'll  keep everyone posted!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home